Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Currently July 2015


Wow!  How is it already July?!  I’m linking up with Oh’ Boy Fourth Grade today and FINALLY sharing pictures from some St. Patrick’s Day fun.
Listening

I’ve become addicted to Right This Minute.  I get all of my gossipy celebrity news right after my real news at noon.  Summer is fabulous.

Loving

Summer IS fabulous.  I’ve been sleeping in, reading for enjoyment, and attending some really fun professional development workshops (more on those in some future blog posts!)

Thinking

I’ve recently learned all about QR Codes and my brain has been going several hundred thousand miles a minute with ideas for Tpt creations ever since!

Wanting

I’m wanting to go to Vegas with everyone but there is always next year and I am putting it on my calendar THIS year!  In the meantime I will live vicariously through everyone who IS going!!

Needing

I’ve been enjoying summer but it’s time to get some work (cleaning/organizing) done so I can  enjoy the rest of my break as well.

ALL STAR

Procrastinator…of course!

St. Patrick’s Day Catch-Up

My two favorite holidays are Halloween and St. Patrick’s Day.  I love teaching my students about these two holidays and celebrating them in the classroom.

This year I had the opportunity to work with a group of Kindergarteners who truly shared my love for St. Patrick’s Day.  We started our St. Patrick’s Day Study by reading several books about the holiday including,

         There were so many fun activities that we worked on over the next two weeks including learning about rainbows and then creating our own with Fruit Loops. (They also made a delicious snack!), Matching Math Shamrocks, creating Paper Bag Puppet Leprechauns from Creative Clips, Retelling Shamrock Chains, and Graphing with Skittles! 


  Finally, we read How to Catch a Leprechaun,


and spent several days creating our own Leprechaun Traps. 
 








This was an incredible experience for both the students and myself!  The conversations that stemmed from their work were unbelievable.  I heard things such as, “I’m going to lure him in with a skittle.”  “Can you help me measure this ladder(pipe cleaner)?  It’s too long.”  I even had one student try to convince the principal to let him hang a string from the ceiling to allow his trap to hang down and catch the leprechaun in action!  The language and teamwork that occurred was invaluable.  We finished the traps and did a quick little writing activity before we put the traps on display in the library for a few days. 





On St. Patrick’s Day, the student’s were surprised to find ladders and shamrocks moved, green (chalk) footprints all over their traps, and some gold chocolate coins hidden inside their traps!


I am still so impressed with all of their work!!!

3 comments:

  1. I want to go to Vegas too! Making plans for next year already! I have never seen Right This Minute. I've never even heard of it! I might have to check this out!
    Heidi Neels
    Flipping for First

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love making Leprechaun Traps with my first graders each year - so much fun! I'm a fellow Ohio girl (Columbus)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, your post cracks me up with your "All Star Procrastinator" and sharing St. Patty's Day pics! Gotta love it! By the way, QR Codes are the greatest. :)
    Literacy Loving Gals

    ReplyDelete